ELAN-CorpA is an extended version of the software ELAN from the Max Planck Institute for Psycholinguistics of Nijmegen, Netherlands. It has been developed firstly by Coralie Villes, then Uyên-To Rabier and finally Mourad Aouini under the direction of Christian Chanard from the CNRS research laboratory LLACAN (UMR 8135 of CNRS), initially for the research program ANR CorpAfroAs (A Spoken Corpus for Afro-Asiatic Languages), coordinated by Amina Mettouchi.
This version contains an additional tab 'Interlinearize' which allows the management of a XML lexicon (of extension .eafl) and the interactive segmentation into morphemes of words from a tier. Those morphemes are then annotated on 2 additional tiers (gloss and category), with the contents of the lexicon.
A second lexicon (Parse Lexicon, with an .eafp extension) containing the words segmented and annotated from previous texts can be created or extended to speed up the annotation process.Useful tools:
- Cleaning a local Parse Lexicon
- Extracting an ELAN-CorpA lexicon from a local Parse Lexicon
- Cleaning an ELAN-CorpA lexicon (delete bad entries)
Additionally, the table showing the hits found by a search in the annotated texts can display 2 more columns, 'parent' and 'children' (in addition to 'before' and 'after'), which contains the parent and the children of a search element (for example the word in which a morpheme has been found, the gloss and the category of this morpheme), respectively. Note: This has been incorporated into ELAN since the 4.6.1 release.
In the grid display, there is the new option to choose between 'multiple tiers with symbolic association' and 'multiple tiers with symbolic subdivision', which allows the display of the children of a tier depending on its stereotype. Note: this has been incorporated into ELAN since the 4.6.1 release.
In the last version 4.7.3, a new item can be found in the Search menu: CorpA Multiple files Search where searching can be done by using CorpA Query Language
- After downloading, double-click install.exe
- You do not need to install any other software. A Java virtual machine is included with this download.
- After downloading, double-click ELAN-CorpA_xxx_install.zip
- The compressed installer should open automatically. Double-click on the install icon.
- Once ELAN-CorpA is installed on a Mac, the programme may hang up when loading the media file you chose to annotate ('Initializing...' problem) or when opening the media file of an ELAN file ('No player...' problem). To fix this: Go to Applications Folder, right-click on ELAN-CorpA_xxx, select Get Info, check the box run on 32 bits.
- If it is not already on the desktop, make a shortcut of the ELAN-CorpA_xxx.jar and drag it to the desktop.
Now use this shortcut to launch ELAN-CorpA.
You will find here a PDF document on how to use ELAN-CorpA
You will find here ( PC / Mac ) an ELAN template file Corpo1.etf that can be imported into ELAN to set up the types and tiers according to the CorpAfroAs model for one speaker, and here ( PC / Mac ) Corpo2.etf for two speakers.
If the contents of those files open in your browser when downloading, just save them (file save as) on your computer.
To create a new ELAN file according to the CorpAfroAs template:
- File, New, Browse to your Wav file, >> , ok
- Delete the default tier (right-click on its label, delete default tier)
- Tier, import Tiers
- Browse to the downloaded file (Corpo1.etf for one speaker, Corpo2.etf for 2 speakers)
- Import, Close